Wednesday 20 March 2013

Where Is My Prince Charming?

When I was young, my dreams were to find the perfect man, preferably someone like Prince Charming, get married and have two beautiful kids.  I used to tell my friends, that it doesn't matter that the man I fell in love with has no money, because all we need is love.  And then I grew up.  While I do not need a rich Prince Charming, I want one that can support himself and I do not have to support him.  Reality set in and I realized, dreams and reality are really different. Then I was told that I have to kiss a lot of frogs before I find my prince and that is what I had done.  Kissed a lot of frogs....but still no prince.

Some of my ex boyfriends were a real duds, but there were some that were total keepers, but unfortunately they are not mine to keep.  The real duds, were just some guys I dated when I was in University.  They were fun to hang out with but I just couldn't see myself making a commitment with them.  And I think the same goes to those guys.  I remain friends with most of them but one.  

The keepers were the ones I actually really liked and at some point of the relationship, I can see myself being with this one person for the rest of my life. When the relationship take a serious turn, I have to admit, I would just turn around and start running. While I could see myself being with them, I also could see that I was miserable.  I was not happy.  I don't know why.  I see my parents marriage that for the past 20 years, where I see my dad checking out of the marriage and my mom still holding on to the hope of my dad coming back.  I do not want that for my life.

So I guess after a while, I decided I will just let it happen, if it happens.  If not, I am prepared to live my life as I see it.  Which brings me to my life now.  I am still single, not really looking but if a prince charming do decide to sweep me off my feet, who am I to complain, right?  I like my single life and I like the freedom.  I have friends, who like me, are single and we are enjoying our singledom. 

For the past few days, I have been staying with my friend, E and her family.  She has a loving husband and two adoring sons, who might be a little handful at times but they were good kids.  At the ages of seven and two years old,my friend, E has her hands full.  At E's home is where I found out that having kids is never going to be in my future.  Helping E by keeping an eye on her two year old for twenty minutes taught me that in order to have a child, you need to young so that you could keep up with the kid.  I have to admit, after the twenty minutes, I was totally wiped out.  Tired.  I needed a nap to recuperate.

I find myself now revising my dream fairy tale of Prince Charming.  I want a working Prince Charming that can support himself.  The two kids has been replaced with two adorable cat or dog and while all my friends like E, have their wonderful memories with their kids, I will want to make our memories out in the world.  Travel and see the world.  So now....is that too much to as for?  A nice Prince Charming??

No comments:

Post a Comment